A Romantic Weekend in Barcelona||Part Three

So far we have managed to fit lots into our weekend trip, but hadn't really found the time to do all the little touristy bits I had planned before I arrived. One of my first posts on this blog was all about Barcelona you can read it here. It felt amazing to finally be able to tick all those things I wrote about back then off of my bucket list. 

The first place I want to share is the beach in Barcelona called Barceloneta and also the port which is named after the Olympics held in Barcelona called Port Olympic.  We jumped in one of the famous Yellow and Black taxi's which took us straight to the port from Las Rambla. You can walk to the beach from here but it is about half an hour on foot (if you know where you are going). We arrived on a bit of a windy over cast lunch time, but don't let that put you off!, we still managed to have an amazing meal and go for a nice walk on the beach. 







Here's some photos I took of the port and the beach Barceloneta.




After our trip to the beach we stopped off at one of the cafes along the port for some ice cream, it was here we decided to plan our next excursion and that was the Aquarium.  
The Aquarium is located along the Port Vell. For all day entry the cost is 20 euros per adult and 15 euros for children. If you book on line like we did first you do save at least 10% on those prices. 

Here are some photos of our time at the Aquarium. 


















We really enjoyed our little trip to the Aquarium, my highlights included the sharks and the tropical fish. As there was only two of us we decided not to hang about here all day and a few hours was just enough time for us to see all we wanted to see. 

As we got a taste for wildlife and there was an offer I found online for 2 for 1 entry we decided to also take a little trip to the zoo. It was a perfect day for it, it was lovely and sunny and we really enjoyed the walk up as well.

Here's some photos of the zoo



















This was by far my favourite part of the day! All the animals were so cute and I got lots of photos. My favourites being in particular the Monkey's and the Elephants. I am so glad we decided to visit. I would definitely recommend going to see the Sea Lion  show as well, it lasts for 1 hour and it was very entertaining. Unfortunately I was unable to take any photographs of the show but there is lots of other opportunities to take photos around the zoo. 

Our last day in Barcelona.... 

We were very sad to be leaving Barcelona although we got to see and do so much in such a short space of time, 2 nights definitely flew by and I wish we could of got to have spent more time in the city. Alas our last day was spent mooching round the old town, or the Gothic Quarters as they are more commonly known. We were lucky enough to have secured a last flight home, and our luggage was safe in the hands of our hotel staff- brilliant hotel! Looked after us very well during our entire stay. So that gave us some time to explore the old town. 

Our first stop was the famous Barcelona Cathedral







Officially known as Cathedral Basilica of Barcelona and located in the Barrio Gothic (Gothic Quarters/ Old Town) this is definitely a land mark not to be missed as it dates back nearly 500 years. The Gothic design is something which makes this Cathedral stand out from most and is definitely one of my favourites I have seen so far in Europe. We didn't get to look around unfortunately because we chose to visit on a Sunday so it was extremely busy as you can imagine but from what I have heard the inside is even more beautiful so I would recommend looking inside if you get the chance to- I know I will be on our next visit. 

Opening hours are from 8am until 12:30 and then it re-opens again at 17:15 until 19:30. 

You can book your tour here

La Sagrada Familia/Basilica of the Sagrada Familia

Another one of Barcelona's famous land marks and voted number 1 on Trip Advisor's to do and see in Barcelona's list, we just had to come and see for ourselves, and we definitely was not disappointed. 




This amazing piece of Gothic Architecture is located in the Carrer de Mallorca part of the city and is very accessible to reach by foot/taxi or bus from the main city centre. This breath taking church is devoted to the Holy family. Construction began in 1882 and has never been finished- hence the scaffolding which is still visible all round the edges of the building. The building was designed by Antoni Gaudi in 1883. 

The building is open to visitors sun-sat from 9am until 8pm and there is a fee to enter. All info and how to book can be found here.  We didn't make it in to see inside as we were a little short on time, but you definitely should if you get the time too and please share your photos. 




So that brings us on to our Goodbyes... 
Barcelona really was an unforgettable city and one I know for a fact I will be returning to. 3 days really was not enough for me. Barcelona I will be coming back for you! 


Hope you enjoyed reading all about my weekend in Barcelona. 
My next post will be all about my time in Ibiza/ Formentera so I hope you come back to read all about it. 

Popular Posts