A Birthday Announcement||Surprise City Break

So a big(ish) birthday is approaching this month the big 2 5! It's not until now that I've really thought about where I would like to go and how I want to see my birthday in. Usually I would have a family get together or go out with friends but this year I would like to go abroad and celebrate in some serious style. I just have NO idea where.. Luckily for an indecisive girl like me I don't have to make the big decision on what country to visit, as my boyfriend has booked me a surprise (well what was supposed to be a surprise) trip away for a few days!- People that know me well know just how much I hate surprises so I managed to force it out of him where we are going.
  
Photo Credit: Pinterest



The big birthday destination is none other than Rome, Italy!! Somewhere that's been on my bucket list for years. I was very shocked when he told me and also very touched that he remembered - Some serious boyfriend points have been awarded here!! 

So even though it's no longer a surprise, I thought I'd use this next month or so to plan my big birthday trip away.


Photo Credit: Dreamstime.com
If like me you only have a couple of days to explore you could make an itinerary for each day with things you want to see/do and places in Rome you want to visit. 

Here are my top 5 things I want to visit whilst in Rome. 

-Places to Visit-

Photo Credit: Think Hotels
No trip to Rome would be complete without a visit to the famous Colosseum. Although you can see it from a far (you can't really miss it) I want to have a nose right inside and wonder about the ancient amphitheatre. This iconic symbol of Rome is somewhere I have always wanted to visit I think it is such a beautiful building, and I love how much history it has. I have found a website which allows you to book your ticket for 12 euros (adult) prior to visiting. Click here to visit. (Please remember only buy tickets from official and secure websites- never give your card details/ address to suspicious websites) 

Photo Credit:Touropia

Second on my list is The Trevi Fountain. Again another great historical place I have longed to visit. The Trevi Fountain was designed by Nicola Salvi, an Italian Architect in 1732, after his death it was then completed by Giuseppe Pannini in 1762.
The ancient old myth that you should throw a coin, using your right hand over your left shoulder into the fountain is still alive today. Some say this brings Good Luck & Fortune- Something I am definitely going to try. 

Photo Credit: Aviewoncites

Next on my list is St Peters Basilica. I must admit now although I recognise the building and have seen this many times, I had no idea it was the St Peters Basilica. The more I read about it the more I want to visit! I love how grand it looks. 


Photo Credit: The Red List
Another place I am desperate to go and see is the Ancient Rome building Pantheon. Located in the centre of Rome between the streets Via della Ratonda & the Via della Palombella, this building dates back to 27 BC. I am not sure if you can actually wonder about inside, but I am certainly going to try to once there.


Photo Credit: Travel Online
And this marks my last attraction out of my top 5 things to see in Rome. This is the Piazza Navona fountain. Not to be confused with the Trevi Fountain. It was built on the site of the Stadium of Domitian in the 1st century AD. It was mostly used when the Ancient Romans would come to watch agones (games). 
Today it is defined as a world famous public space. There are two other fountains here as well (Fontana del Mora) & (Fountain of Neptune) and like the Trevi Fountain many people believed and still do, that you should throw a coin in the fountain for good luck. 


So there we have my top 5 attractions I hope to visit on my trip.

Other places I am going to try and check out whilst there are The Roman Forum, The Spanish Steps some of the Vatican Museums and of course the Vatican itself. 
Photo Credit: History.com


Photo Credit: There Are Places
Photo Credit: Triptease

-Where to stay-

There are thousands of Hotels in Italy's capital and choosing one that can feel right is a very difficult task. I'm lucky enough this time to not have to make that mammoth decision. When I do however my first port of call is TripAdvisor so I can compare and see what reviews others have given the hotel. 

The hotel we are staying in is a 5 star called Hotel Splendide Royal. It is located right in the centre of the city and has very good reviews, all of these things are a huge priority to us when we travel anywhere. We love being in the centre of the action. The hotel is always the first place you go to, so you want to make your trip as enjoyable as you can. Even if it does mean paying a bit extra.










Photo Credit: All photos taken from Trip Advisor.
As you can see from above the hotel looks incredible and very luxurious! I for one cannot wait to stay here. I doubt I will actually leave...




So there we have it my Birthday surprise is finally out in the open, and only 2 weeks to wait!! Really can't wait now to tell you all what I get up in Rome and hopefully I will get to tick some of the things off on this post. Who else has been to Rome? and who else loved it? Would love to hear some of your recommendations. 

Comments

Popular Posts