America||The best sights to see in New York City (and how to get there) Part 2

So you may remember my post a few months ago now about my up and coming trip to NYC (this November), including the sights I want to see whilst I am there AND how to get there via The Subway (because lets face it we aint got a clue), well as you already were told in that post I couldn't fit everything in so here is Part 2. (If you haven't read Part 1 yet, catch it here). If I am missing any crucial must see's please do let me know, and if anyone has any tips and tricks on being a tourist in the City again let me know- all help is welcome. 




Rockefeller Center


Photo Credit: Flickr
The Rockefeller Center is located in Midtown Manhattan between 5th avenue and 6th avenue, 48th and 51st street. It is essentially a sky scrapper building compromising of 19 commercial office blocks which covers 22 acres in total, and was named after its founder John D. Rockefeller who leased the building from Colombia University back in 1928. Not only does it feature offices it is also well known for its drinking and dining spots, there are lots of restaurants and bars & there is an observation deck for the public to admire the views of the City. The centre gained National Historic Landmark status in 1987, and is mostly visited during the Christmas period thanks to the fancy tree decorations surrounding it every year. 

Make sure you have a go on the massive pop up ice rink which is found outside the centre in the winter, and in the lead up to Christmas. It will truly make your Christmas in the city unforgettable. 

How to get here: The closet Subway station to the centre is called 47th-50th Streets- Rockefeller Center, and this is an express station on the IND 6th Avenue line of the NYC subway. It is served by D &F trains at all times, and B&M on weekdays only. 


Photo Credit: wikimapia


Photo Credit: patinagroup.com




Grand Central Station


Photo Credit: Flickr
One of if not THE most recognised and most visited Train Stations in the world, one could argue.  Not only is this a central hub for trains running in and out of the City, it is also largely now a tourist destination where people come just to admire the building itself and have their photo's taken inside, they aren't even necessarily travelling anywhere. 

How to get here: There are 3 stations all within close proximity to the main Central Station. 1. Grand Central- 42nd Street, 4/5/6/7 & S (Green, Purple & Grey lines). 2. 5th Avenue N/Q & R (Yellow Line). 3. 42nd Street- Bryant Park 7/ B/P/F & M (Purple and Orange Lines). 


Photo Credit: flickr
[Rockefeller Center to Grand Central Station NY Route: Approx 9 Mins. Walk 0.4 miles (8 minutes) SW to 5th Avenue- Bryant Park Station (7, Purple line). Take the Main Street- Flushing bound train & get off at 42nd St- Grand Central Station 7 Line]


Wall Street


Photo Credit: Chieforganizer.org
I first became obsessed with Wall Street (one of most famous Financial Districts in the entire world) when I watched the film 'Wall Street' with Charlie Sheen & Michael Douglas. This film even though it was made in the 80's made quite a big impression on me actually, more than I thought it ever could. I then watched the 'Wolf of Wall Street' film with Leo DiCaprio and fell in love all over again. There is seriously something so amazing and exciting about the stock market, I can't put my finger on it (maybe it is is because I work for a financial company in Canary Wharf and am surrounded by thousands of Bankers and Stock Broker's- who knows), but I really am fascinated by finance and would love to visit Wall Street to get a glimpse of how it all works. I love the fast paced City life style so this place is definitely on my American map when I visit in a few months.  


How to get here:  There are technically 3 Subway Stations which serve Wall Street, so getting here couldn't be easier. 1. Wall Street at William Street (2,3 Trains) 2. Wall Street at Broadway (4,5 Trains) or 3. Broad Street at Broad Street (with an entrance at Wall Street) (J,Z Trains). 


Photo Credit: everystockphoto
[Rockefeller Center to Wall Street NY Route: Approx 25 mins. Walk 0.4 miles (8 mins) NW to South Street Station 1 Train (Red Line), take South Ferry Train & get off at 42nd Street- Times Sq Station. 

Transfer to the New Lots Avenue 3 Train (Red Line), and get off at Wall Street Station 2/3 Trains.] 



[Grand Central Station to Wall Street NY Route: From 42nd St- Grand Central 4/5/6/7/S/Metro- N train, take the 34th Street- Hudson Yards bound train, 7 (Red Line), arrive at 42nd Street- Times Sq Station. 

Transfer to the Flatbush Avenue- Brooklyn College bound train 2 (Red Line), get off at Wall Street 2/3 (Red Line)]


Macy's (Herald Square)


Photo Credit: Wiki
A trip to NYC would absolutely not be complete without a shopping trip (or 5). I have been saving my hard earned cash all year round so I can spend, spend, spend whilst I am here & the first place I am going to make sure I hit up is Macy's (will try and get to Bloomingdale's too at some point). As it say's in the photo above, it is the world's largest store which opened in 1858, making it one of America's most iconic shopping places. They stock most of the well known designer brands including Ralph Laurent, Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, as well as Shoes & Accessories and Home Ware/Electrical's. Don't feel too jealous though girl's as Macy's also has a website AND it now ships to the UK.  

Macy's Herald Square is located on West 34th Street and is open 10am until 10pm every day except Sunday's when it opens at 11am and closes at 9pm. 

How to get here: The closest Subway Station to the store is 34th Street- Herald Square which has two main lines it is served by B/D/F/M trains (Orange line) and N/Q/R Trains (Yellow line).


Photo Credit: Alamy.com

[Rockefeller Center to Macy's NY Route: Approx 7 mins. Walk 0.2 miles (4 mins) W to 47-50th Street- Rockefeller Centre Station B/D/F/M take the Metropolitan Avenue- Middle Village bound M Train (Orange line), then get off at 34th Street- Herald Square Station]

[Grand Central Station to Macy's NY Route: Approx 9 mins. Walk 0.4 miles (8 mins) NW to 42nd St-Bryant Park Station B/D/F/M take the Stillwell Avenue- Coney Island D bound Train (Orange line), get off at 34th Street- Herald Square Station B/D/F/M]


[Wall Street to Macy's NY Route: Approx 15 mins. From Wall Street Station 2/3, take the 241 St- Wakefield 2 bound train (Red line) and then get off at 34th Street- Penn Station 1/2/3/LIRR]




So there we have just a few more New York City sights I wanted to add to my ever growing list. Hopefully this and the Part 1 post covers the basics. (I am sure I will have a lot more to add once I am actually there though). 

I am off in just over 2 months (the countdown has begun) and still have so much more planning to do before then. I especially want to find some amazing brunch/lunch and dinner spots as well as good places to party and let my hair down, in November. I am hopefully going to tackle that part of my research within the next few months and will post all my findings on here, feel free to get me started by commenting your favourite food and drink spots in the City (or any other recommendations on sights not listed here). 

Comments

Popular Posts