Guest Post||Mozambique: ''Land of the Good People''


Photo Credit: Oliver Hyde
Of all the exotic countries I've visited to date, Mozambique impressed me most by far- and it also inspired me to keep exploring South Africa for more thrills, sightings of natural beauty, and encounters with friendly locals and their distinctive culture. Vasco Da Gama's description of this amazing land as 'Terra de Boo Gente' is spot -on: people are Mozambique's greatest treasure, and they certainly are a nation after my own heart. Here are some of the top reasons why I'd encourage every traveller to visit Mozambique- I for one will be going back there soon for fresh adventure and first-hand insights into the country's rich culture, history, and wildlife. 


A Taste of paradise on earth 

Photo Credit: Oliver Hyde
Mozambique owes much of its popularity among tourists to its scenic coastline. Here, stretches of white, warm sand extend out to meet shimmering waves, and local underwater life is known for its stunning diversity among scuba divers worldwide. My personal favourite is the Bazaruto archipelago, home to rare marine species such as whale sharks, manta rays, dugongs, dolphins and humpback whales. Declared a national park back in 1971, Bazaruto is an ideal destination for tourists who want to spice up beach lounging sessions with an odd dive, boat tour of the surrounding islands, snorkelling spree, or bird watching expedition. If you're lucky enough, you may even get to see pink flamingos and Nile Crocs basking in the sun-but even if all you're looking for in a holiday resort is a palm-fringed beach with a mild ocean breeze to caress your skin, Bazaruto won't disappoint you. 


Get lost in the market crowd

Photo Credit: Oliver Hyde
For a dash of lively marketplace vibes, head over to the country's capital and let the city beats sweep you off your feet. Accommodation in Mozambique's capital ranges from luxury hotel suites to backpackers' deals, so finding lodgings that fit both your vacationing style and budget shouldn't be a major problem. For tourists eager to get a taste of the local life as a resident and not just a visitor, though, I strongly recommend renting out a flat or house. I was able to find a property in Maputo that lived up to my high accommodation standards at a reasonable price, and I think I'll do the same the next time I visit Mozambique. That way, I'll save up some cash for my shopping sprees and day trips outside the capital- I just can't wait to get back to the Central Market and haggle some more with the amiable local merchants!


A walk on the wild side

Photo Credit: Oliver Hyde
During my stay in Maputo, I inquired about the wildlife of Mozambique, and everyone said the same thing: ''Go see Gorongosa''. And so I did: situated in the heart of the country, Gorongosa National Park is the closest to a tropical paradise stretched across huge expanses of savanna and woodlands, with rain forests up on the slopes of Mount Gorongosa. During a safari ride across the park, tourists can see crocs, hippos, lions, elephants, and hundreds of bird species, so it's not a surprise the park is often referred to as ''the place where Noah left his Ark''. I loved the deep, heady scents of Africa I had a chance to take in during the tour of the park, and I fell in love with the local ecosystem, an embodiment of Africa in a nutshell- I hope you will love it, too. 


History etched in red letters

Photo Credit: Oliver Hyde
Though well on its way up the global tourism ladder, Mozambique has a poignant past steeped in blood and tears. Formerly a home to Bantu tribes, the region was taken over by Arab traders and later Portuguese colonizers. The era of foreign hegemony ended in a decade-long war for independence (1964-74). Still, the peace was short-lived: civil war ripped through the country within 3 years, eventually ending by the introduction of democracy in 1993. The history etched in blood is perhaps one of the reasons why the people of Mozambique are so positive and open-hearted: well aware of all the losses and pain warring leaves behind, locals here know just how precious peace is, and their mindset is that of a survivor nation which hasn't lost its faith in humanity: goodness, and kindness. ''The Land of the Good People'' is now pervaded by laughter, joyful tunes, and respect for tradition and cultural heritage, and local hospitality and warmth are well-known throughout Africa and much of the Western world. 

I'll keep coming back to Mozambique in the years to come: I believe the country has yet much to show me. I'm looking forward to my next trip to the exotic land where wild creatures thrive side by side with men, and past and present are forever entwined in a fascinating dance of life. 



About Author: Oliver is an experienced business consultant from the UK. His job allows him to travel, which also happens to be one of his greatest passions. He has been exploring Africa this past year and this journey is something he will never forget. You can follow his adventures on Twitter and Google+

Comments

Popular Posts